Fethard, County Tipperary

After exploring parts of County Wicklow, we headed back towards Cashel. At Clonmel, Sara picked a new route back to Cashel; it was a regional road to the north and we began winding our way back.

As we drove around bends and up-and-down hills, we came upon a walled town called Fethard. We didn’t expect it, nor did we plan on it. What we knew immediately is that we needed to find a place to park and to walk around.

Fethard
Fethard

Fethard was established around 1200. It’s walls date back to the 1290’s and ar considered the finest in Ireland and the most complete; as it is still fully intact.

The side of the town that runs parallel with R689 and the Clashawley River has a variety of buildings and ruins. We parked next to the Abymill; an original mill wheel leaning against the outside wall. We then walked along the river banks and towards the Water’s Gate. We could see a church and crossed what looked like an original bridge called the Madam’s Bridge.

Fethard :: Sheela Na Gig
Fethard :: Sheela Na Gig

On the Water Gate wall is a Sheela Na Gig, a carving of what is thought to be a pagan goddess of fertility. We continued past Court Castle, which looked more like a manor house, and the towards the town centre. Eventually, we made a loop back to the Abbey and explored the cemetery where there were fabulous stone crosses covered with Celtic artwork.

It was at this moment that I was grateful that we had a car and were exploring the backroads. We didn’t always stop at every town. However, when we came across a landscape or a town that we wanted to further acquaint ourselves with … we were be able to stop and enjoy.

Fethard :: Walking along the River
Fethard :: Walking along the River
Fethard :: Clashawley River
Fethard :: Clashawley River

Fethard :: Court Castle

Fethard :: Abbey Ruin
Fethard :: Abbey Ruin
Fethard :: Abbey Ruin
Fethard :: Abbey Ruin
Fethard :: Clashawley River
Fethard :: Clashawley River

Location via Google Maps:

%d bloggers like this: